I have been trying to get a few more games with the Astra Militarum, and one unit that has come into question is the Wyrdvane Psykers. Personally I had found so little use for them in the game, that I wondered why they were included in the codex. A friend of mine had different ideas though, that they were so overly powerful that they were an auto-take in a lot of lists.


So what it came down to is that I believe he is mis-reading a rule and just getting these ideas off the internet somewhere. His thoughts were that the Wyrdvane Psykers get a psychic power for each model in the unit. Despite what the rules say for brotherhood of psykers, and reading the rules for it, he said that this is how they are being played. My take is of course that you only get one psychic power per unit because they have the brotherhood of psykers rule.

Here is the rule:
A unit with this special rule counts as a mastery level 1 psyker.

I still read this as the whole unit counts as a single level 1 psyker and therefore gets only 1 power. Which of course you are probably just going to take divination for prescience, and makes the unit pointless in most games as a Primaris Psyker is a much better use of points.

Not to mention that it doesnt matter if you are using the base 5 Wyrdvane Psykers or more. Paying the points for extra psykers doesnt do much except keep them alive a little longer.

I have lots of Wyrdvane Psykers, and even though I want these units to work better, I am having a hard time with them.

What is your take on this unit?
 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...