Now that some of the Grey Knight shock and awe is receding, and people are becoming more familiar with them, the games are getting much more interesting. In this game a friend of mine brought over his Night Lords for a game with my new terrain.


Once we set up the table, we got down to it. His list was something like this....
2x Lash Daemon Princes
2x  (6) Chosen Marines with 4 plasma guns and an autocannon
1x (7) Havoc Marines with 4 autocannons
2x (5) Plague Marines with 2 meltas + rhino
2x (10) Space Marines with 1 Missile Launcher + rhino
2x Possessed Vindicators
1x (10) Chaos Terminators all with combi plasmas and some chain fists mixed in
He also had gifts or marks that allows re-rolls for morale checks

I was fielding something like
Crowe
4x (10) Purifiers with 4 Psycannons 3 with rhinos
Inquisitor
Inquisitorial Henchmen
      (8) psykers
      (3) servitors with multi-meltas
       + chimera
2x Dreadnoughts with 2 twin linked autocannons and psybolt ammo
Stormraven
Culexus Assassin
Techmarine

He obviously infiltrated his chosen units but was hampered by placements of servo skulls. The game was capture and control, with myself taking the first turn.

Turn 1
The first round was miserable. I can't declare that enough. Really I think I killed two terminators and that was it. My pskyers got their first round shot off with the psychic barrage and periled. Double ones. So besides movement I was able to kill off 8 of my own models and two of his terminators.

He was positioned with this terminators lined up in the center with his hard hitting vindicators right behind them, and his daemon princes out of sight.

His first round also went bad, with him not able to get off a lash due to reinforced aegis with one daemon prince, and another failing its new faq'd to hit roll. So my purifiers that were exposed somehow managed to survive. I believe after his round of firing though, only 3-4 purifiers had died.

Turns 2-4.
 Round 2 I assaulted the end line of his terminators with Crowe. Going into a defensive stance, he charged in and held up his terminators through two assault phases, while I tried to keep my purifiers midfield alive. At this point I was holding up midfield with two 10 man units of purifiers and Crowe.

Things then got a little rough, as massed gun fire, including the chaos terminators who I was having a hard time with, unleashed a death salvo of plasma fire into a unit of purifiers. Just the massed amount of shots were taking their tolls midfield. I was able to take down his daemon princes though in round two. At this point, purifiers just cannot stand up to the heat of massed gunfire, and the last two purifiers were backing up towards my base to protect it with 5 purifiers that were combat squaded out to hold it.

My inquisitorial Servitors were able during his vindicator advance to take one out with 3 multi-meltas, before advancing plague marines finished them off.

Wrapping it up.
His last vindicator was immobilized but was still in a good position to fire on me, however a mobile rhino ran and parked itself right in front of its gun. The vindicator spent the rest of the game, trying to kill it.

Pushing towards my objective, were two full units of plague marines, 5 terminators and a full unit of chosen. They were advancing upon two dreadnoughts, 2 surviving purifiers, plus a combat squaded out unit of purifiers with 4 psycannons. Luckily for me, his advance was not able to be timed properly. I was able to assault one unit of plague marines with a dreadnought, shoot down his last terminators and plague marines.

It was the chosen that were going to wreck my day. A full salvo of plasma hitting my last 3 purifiers holding my objective went to ground (as they had no cover from the angle they were coming in from. The plasmas took down 2, and the last single survivor rolled a 6 for his cover save, and surivived. So my objective was in the clear.

As for his objective. He had two full man units of chaos marines and havocs covering them from high ground to hold me off. 5 purifiers with halbreds were charging through the first unit of chaos marines when the stormraven came in from reserve. From there a full unit of 10 purifiers was very much able to run through the chaos marines, and advanced upon his objective.

A lot of shots came in, and the assault at the top of turn 5 was able to take place, from the long range shooting of a dreadnought blowing out the rhino the defenders were using in the terrain. So I was able to charge the forest they were in, with 2 purifiers from the original 5, plus 7 that came from a downed stormraven. Not to mention that there was a techmarine with them, was all grenaded up. A result of a 2 on the grenades...... the enemy was hit automatically. Add in two successful hammerhands and rad grenades, my purifiers went through them like butter, killing chaos marines on a single to wound roll of 2+.

In the end I held both objectives..... (my own barely).

Good game, as he was able to really use the terrain wisely and push hard at my base. Up until I assaulted the plagues with my last surviving dreadnought, he had a chance at claiming my objective. The fact that I held it at the end of 6 was simply lucky and fortuitous.

As for my table... in the pics you can see I was playing on an empty board..... That is my next modelling project.
 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...